I'm a Human Inbox

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hollywood creates Boy Scout merit badge on copyright



Hahahaha! Oh that's rich! Hollywood giving a badge for Intellectual Property. This is only being done in Hong Kong right now, who knew they had Boyscouts over there? But I can see such a thing being done over here in the United States as well (Not Canada though). I would seriously love to talk to someone who went through that program about Intellectual Property.

Let me tell you a little story about Hollywood's attempts to educate the public about Intellectual Property. When I went to the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie this week, there was an advertisement about how downloading pirated movies is illegal. Now, I don't download pirated movies but I always hate it when that ad comes on at the theatre. As a paying customer, I find it offensive that they treat their customers as the potential criminals. I feel that a more appropriate to put advertisements for things like that on TV, the radio, at schools, at bus stations etc. But don't put those kind of ads in places where people are paying for their product.
In anycase, when I was at the movie theatres and that ad came on "downloading pirated movies is illegal", someone in the audience said "Whoops!", and the audience burst into laughter. The point is, everyone thinks the ad is stupid, and the point is not getting across.

Link (via BoingBoing)