I'm a Human Inbox

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I Define This Rant High in Nature



Matt from IGN's Gamecube mailbag has done a rant about Nintendo dropping High-Definition in the Revolution. I also did a rant about the subject, Matt has a completely different opinion than I do. Although I respect Matt, and consider him a credible source, I'm going to have to disagree with him on this one despite the fact that he has a very good argument.

First of all, Matt and I are definitely different kinds of customers. Right off the bat, Matt states that he owns a HD-TV and feels that early adoption is important. To be honest, if I had a HD-TV, I would be disappointed by Nintendo's announcement as well. But I think it is unfair to argue that Nintendo made a mistake based on the fact that you own the technology in question. The argument should be being made for consumers, not for a niche market segment. First of all, I again repeat that I know very few people who have HD-TVs, and I can't see me, or many people in the next 3 years or so acquiring one. Perhaps by the fourth year, it will become more relevant, but I can't see the HD-TV population going above %25 in four years.

Secondly, do you really think that many early-adopters and technology fans would be buying a Nintendo Revolution anyway? I would say no. HD-TV users are a hardcore niche, and I think that they don't really fall into Nintendo's target demographic anyway. I think that Nintendo's target audience is going to be the casual gamer and Nintendo fans. Nintendo fans will buy a Revolution regardless, but the casual players probably won't have a HD-TV. I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening.

I think this is a case of the hardcores doing some whining.

Link