I'm a Human Inbox

Thursday, July 07, 2005

CNN interviews 1up editor; and he walks off set



What's up with CNN lately? Everytime I hear about videogames being badmouthed on the news, it's being done by CNN. John Davison, an editor of 1up.com was asked to do a live interview on CNN and he was so digusted by the process that he walked off during the interview.

I tried to discuss the ratings system, I tried to talk about how the majority of games are sold at Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy, and how they all take the ratings system very seriously...but this isn't what the show was supposed to be about. Donny had an agenda. "All games are violent" was his proclamation, and nothing was going to sway him. We weren't here to test a hypothesis.

As we cut to the first break in the live taping, more guests were being lined up including Columbine student Brooks Brown and his parents. The guy behind the camera just looked at me and said "dude, you got FUCKED. This is ridiculous." A sentiment that quite ably summarized my own feelings... so I got up and left. I'd been set up as an apologist for videogames, and with the obvious agenda it was clear that neither I, nor anything I represent was going to come out of it unscathed.

They actually edited the show's content so my points weren't let in.


Make sure to read the whole article, it's pretty amazing. I would really like to get my hands on a video clip of the show if it's possible, I'll take a look around for it.

Link (via Waxy)