I'm a Human Inbox

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Like a Bike



Last night I had a friend bring his N64 over with Mario Kart 64, Smash Brothers and Goldeneye. Although I was the only person insisting that we play Goldeneye for a couple of minutes, I enjoyed it the most over all the other games. I haven't played it in 5 years; it was like a bike, one never forgets.

I have never been as good at a game as I am at Goldeneye, I played it for years, for far too many hours. As soon as we started the game I remembered the controls, I remembered where all the weapons were, and I could navigate the map with my eyes closed. Literally. My aim was as crappy as hell, but intimately knowing the map and how to move and position myself it was a clean sweep. I just knew.

It was a very strange feeling, it was like a state of meditation for me. A forgotten, but hardwired memory. Nobody else was having fun because I was dominating the maps, but I really miss that game. I know that I won't be able to get any time on it because nobody is going to play it with me. There are only two people that I know would play with me, infact they're in most ways better than I am. But they've moved away, and the game has kind of moved on.

This is probably the only game I feel strong nostalgia towards.