I'm a Human Inbox

Sunday, July 03, 2005

War of the Worlds



I went to see War of the Worlds on Thursday and it was packed. I was hearing good things from friends and critics so my expectations were a little high, but it turned out to be a very entertaining movie.

Read MoreI'll be honest, I haven't seen much of the original, and I'm not really interested in doing so. From my recollection, the beginning and the end of the remake are pretty much the same, but everything else inbetween is pretty different.

The main thing to realize about this movie is that the Aliens are not scary. The Aliens look downright hugable in frog kind of way. No, the Aliens weren't scary, but I'd say that the movie itself scared the hell out of me. The way that War of the Worlds was scary was the palatable human fear and panic. People were dying left and right, humanity were being snuffed out like cockroaches. Because everyone was panicking, humans themselves were the ugly evil in this movie. People were killing eachother to survive, and it showed a horrific side to ourselves that was terrifying. Another thing that contributed to the fear was that I felt very protective and concerned for the little girl in the movie, the things she was seeing definitely were going to scar her for life.

For example, while going into the woods to go to the bathroom, she sees hundreds of bodies drifting down the river before her father drags her away from the sight.

As much as I hate to admit it, Tom Cruise did a good job in this movie. This movie is basically everything Signs should have been. An alien movie told from a family's perspective, with lots of explosions.

Don't expect deep meaning from this movie, but expect it to be suspenseful, scary and emotional. The thing I couldn't believe was that I saw a lot of parents bringing children to this movie. Those kids are going to have trouble sleeping for the next couple of weeks.