I'm a Human Inbox

Friday, October 14, 2005

National Institute on Media & Family Puts Distance From Jack Thompson


[Media: Article]
(Click here to read the full comic)

Man, Jack Thompson has been getting no love from anyone these days. I've got a number of stories to point out here. The first one is that the National Institute on Media and the Family, although concerned with issues of videogame violence has written an open letter to Jack Thompson asking him to stop referring to them. This is a pretty fascinating and blunt letter, and I encourage you to read the whole thing after the link.

Even though we have no formal relationship your use of my name and your inclusion of my name in correspondence have created the impression that we condone these tactics. We do not. The result is that our position and reputation as a research based, non-partisan, solution-focused organization has been jeopardized. Consequently, I ask that you[Jack Thompson] cease using the Institute's or my name in any way that would give the impression that we support your efforts. I also ask that you remove the link to our website that appears on your site.

Sincerely,

David Walsh, PH.D.


But that's not all. Penny Arcade also has some Jack Thompson news. Their latest comic outlines the "discussion", and they've made a few posts about the issue. Gabe sent this email to Jack Thompson, which provoked an angry phone call.

10 grand is pretty weak man. Through our charity www.childsplaycharity.org gamers have given over half a million dollars in toys and cash to children’s hospitals all over the country.


It'd be interesting to know, what exactly was said. If Penny Arcade goes into greater detail I'll make an update here.

Link