I'm a Human Inbox

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

EVE Online: The Deadly Dollar


[Media: Article]

Although I love the online magazine The Escapist, I rarely have time to sit down and read all of their articles, instead once in a while I browse through the ones I've missed to see if anything catches my eye. The article "The Deadly Dollar" managed to catch my interest and I was rewarded with a story of complex griefing of a magnitude I have never seen before.

The article talks about an assassin guild on EVE Online called "The Guilding Hand", and how they were assigned to assassinating the CEO of a major cooperation. I won't tell you the details because you really have to read it for yourself, but it was a plan of betrayal which took over a year and a half to execute. Now that's being Owned!

Initially, the Guiding Hand, who had previously set themselves up as committed assassins, had been hired to assassinate the CEO of Ubiqua Seraph, and were to be paid handsomely for the task. Their method, though, was not the crude and difficult matter of waging war and killing the mark by martial means alone. Instead, the Guiding Hand infiltrated the Ubiqua Seraph to the highest level, taking 12 months to ingratiate themselves with the corporation and gain access to its extensive resources.


But the interesting question is whether The Guilding Hand were wrong in their actions. Is what they did unacceptable? Or is it just so awesome that we can forgive their level of masterful betrayal?

Link