I'm a Human Inbox

Monday, December 19, 2005

The Real Story of Christmas


[Media: Article]

I've known little bits and pieces about how Christmas became to be the holiday that we now know it, but I definitely am no expert on it. For those who are curious as to the true origins of Christmas, you should really read this article. This probably won't make you happy about Christmas, so if you'd rather remain ignorant about Christmas' origins, then make sure you don't click.

There's a lot to learn but here's a snippet:
Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia (later to become Christmas), a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

For further information about how Santa Claus came to be, you should check out this Snopes article about Santa and Coca-Cola.

This is going to make me look like a major Humbug, but I want to emphasize what Christmas means to me. Christmas to me is about spending time with my friends, family and my relatives. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Link (via Grumpy Gamer)