I'm a Human Inbox

Monday, January 23, 2006

Xbox 360 Interview with Peter Moore


[Media: Article]
(See the Full Comic)

While I'm sure that anyone who reads Penny Arcade has already seen this comic, I wanted to point it out for being a moment of fucking brilliance. Penny Arcade, in my opinion, has been sliding down the gaming comic radar lately, being slowly replaced by better comics like VGCats. Blasphemy I know, I'm still a huge fan of Penny Arcade, but the past couple of months have barely been about gaming and when it is, it's usually about World of Warcraft. I don't give a damn about WoW, and I think that general commentary on the gaming industry is much more interesting. In short, Penny Arcade has been sliding out of the Hardcore niche and into a dedicated WoW corner. Not good.

But this latest comic targeting 1up and Peter Moore is fantastic. Maybe it's because I had read the interview before I saw the comic, but they hit the nail on the head here. The interview between Dan "Shoe" Hsu from 1up and Peter Moore is something really special because for once the Interviewer asks some really hard hitting questions.

Gaming Journalism tends to be very easygoing on the gaming industry because the Journalists are still approaching game designers as rock stars and not as just a job. I'm not blaming these Journalists, truth be told that if I met up with Peter Jackson or Shigeru Miyamoto I would be like "So. How awesome are you? Can I have a piece of your hair?" (Mild exaggeration going on here)

Anyway, to give a good example of how 1up tears Peter Moore a new hole, check this out:
EGM: OK, we're going to throw two games at you at a time, and we want you to tell us which one you like better.

PM: Ugh, just like saying which of my kids do I love more.

EGM: We hope we've made these easy for you. So: Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Sneakers?

PM: [Laughs] Well, as fond as I was of Sneakers, I have to say that Splinter Cell probably [tops] it.

EGM: How about Soul Calibur II or Kabuki Warriors?

PM: Well, that would be Soul Calibur II.

EGM: Next: Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball or Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue?

PM: Ah, Xtreme Volleyball...anything that [Dead or Alive creator Tomonobu] Itagakisan does is always a big favorite with me. He's always been a big supporter of the platform, and it would be disloyal for me not to choose his title.

EGM: So here's what we're getting at: You picked three Xbox 1 games that aren't backwards compatible on the Xbox 360, and the other ones—Sneakers, Kabuki, and Barbie—are. It's a weird list, especially when you exclude the heavy hitters....

I want to see more of that. Yeah that'd be nice.

Update:


Woody Hearn of GU Comics presented this drawing of Peter Moore and Dan Hsu. I just had to make an update about it:
Peter Moore fighting Dan Hsu, Street Fighter style, with overheated Xbox 360-fireballs and copies of crappy (but backwards compatible) Xbox games for defense.

(Via Joystiq)

Link