I'm a Human Inbox

Friday, February 24, 2006

SmartJoy FRAG: Keyboard/Mouse Adapter for Consoles



I have been debating lately whether or not I should purchase the SmartJoy FRAG, a keyboard and mouse adapter for consoles. I've been playing a lot of Halo 2 online lately, and it's getting to the point where I feel that a major limitation to my skills lie in the limitations of the Xbox controller.

I'm definitely not one of those people who complains about First Person Shooters on consoles, because I feel they have their place. But when you start to get competitive, you start realizing that the buttons on the controller are beginning to hold you back.

For example, in Halo 2 it's not really possible to jump or melee attack and aim at the same time. In order to jump, you have to take your thumb off of the right analog stick, and during that time you are literally incapable of aiming at the same time. It's the same problem for switching weapons and melee attacks. Another problem is spinning. Using a mouse and keyboard, spinning around is a pretty easy affair, but on the Xbox, it's a sluggish torturous task that causes a lot of unnecessary deaths. Sometimes it feels like you're turning a boat instead of a person.

So I've been debating whether or not I should get a SmartJoy FRAG. I haven't decided whether or not it would be considered "cheap" or unfair. I'm also worried that if I got used to using a keyboard and mouse that I'd be rubbish at using the Xbox controller. I might not be able to go back. Has anyone here used a mouse and keyboard adapter for a console before? Do you think it would be unfair?

The Smartjoy FRAG is being sold at Liksang for $20.00.

Link