I'm a Human Inbox

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bob Ross on the Nintendo Revolution


[Media: Article]

Alright, you've probably seen this article if you read gaming sites, but I was waiting for it to be confirmed as an April Fool's Joke before I posted it. I was certain it was an April Fool's Joke, because the press release was posted the day before April 1'st. It was also the strangest thing I've heard all week. But as April Fool's passed, people were still claiming that this is a legit press release.
The games, which are being developed specifically for Nintendo's Revolution console and DS handheld, will be focused on the art of painting, no doubt harnessing the precision accuracy of Nintendo's control methods. A PC version is also planned.

We're not kidding.

AGFRAG made the announcement yesterday, prompting concerns from skeptics of an early April Fool's joke. We contacted AGFRAG directly for clarification.

"The press release is not a joke, but the side effect of people thinking it is might help us get noticed," explained Joseph Hatcher, who heads up the company bringing Bob Ross to Nintendo's systems.

So, apparently the development studio AGFRAG is planning on releasing a Bob Ross painting game on the Revolution and the DS. I think almost everyone knows who Bob Ross is, the Afro painter on PBS that has been around since the dawn of time. All I have to say to my friends is "Do you know that Painter guy on TV?", and they're like "The guy with the Afo? I love that guy!". It's completely surreal.

But as I've thought about it, I'm actually kind of excited about the idea of a painting game. Not that I'm ever going to play this game, but I'm glad that games like this are going to exist for people. Diversity in gaming is always a good thing, not only for casual gamers, but for the hardcore. When there's creative diversity, it's to everyone's benefit, even if it comes from a game featuring Bob Ross.

Link