I'm a Human Inbox

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Lyrebird


[Media: Video]

This nature film about the Lyrebird is absolutely fascinating, and for once in a very long time I dropped my jaw in awe. I do not exaggerate, the Lyrebird can do something fascinating.

When the Lyrebird is looking for a mate, the male will sing the most complicated song it can to attract a female. What it does is it immitates the sounds of things it hears in the forest. This includes other birds and animals, but what is really impressive is the artificial sounds it can imitate. Have you ever heard a bird imitate the sound of loggers cutting down the Forest? I bet you haven't!

This makes me wonder what else it's capable of. If a Lyrebird were to be taken into the city and be exposed to humans, what sort of sounds would it imitate? It'd be fascinating to find out.

Link (via Boing Boing)